Creating at Home
Updated: May 7
I have been taking advantage of the extra time at home by working on a few projects that I have wanted to do for awhile. I removed popcorn from a ceiling(blech!) troweled on a shimmer finish, painted and glazed my kitchen cabinets, painted a few rooms and then I did a mantle make over! This was a bit challenging, as the shape of the mantle was unusual in the way the bricks were stacked up. Take a look.
When I paint, I take over. There is no way about it but to land a few drop cloths, and move everything out, or from one side of the room to the other. Here I was almost done base coating, and next on the list was the mantle project. It took three days of building texture and dry time, to get rid of those grout lines. Then I needed to decide what to do next. I may go back and detail a little more, as I really would like the look of petrified wood. But for now, I will keep it simple. Plus I really wanted to move on to other projects. The Studio House mascot, the owl is standing nearby keeping watch!
Had a little fun with tiktoc --Glazing cabinets to Jimmy Buffett. Cheeseburger in Paradise!
I only did the upper cabinets, as we will be getting a new counter top in the near future, and I did not want the paint/glaze to get damaged. So I have extra glaze mix that I made for the lower cabinets. I would not have painted them at all, but the previous owners did not prime properly and the paint is lifting in several areas and shows the wood under the cream colored cabinets. Remember, if you are painting cabinets, do it right the first time. Do not skimp on quality primer, and let it bond at least 24 hours before painting even if it feels dry. I used XIM 1105
During the April phase of projects, the most time consuming project was removing the popcorn ceiling from the front bedroom. I have put this off for a long time know the level of commitment involved, Since the popcorn ceilings were painted over, it was especially challenging, as I knew I would need to fill in in a lot of areas. I worked extra to remove all the popcorn in the center of the room surrounding the light and knew I could fade in a finish into the textured area that was not smooth. I troweled on a shimmer finish, Luster Stone from Faux Effects and the final finish layer was a creamy pearl shimmer stone from Italy, Senso. Fortunately I had these products left over from previous commissioned jobs, as they are a bit of an investment 90-180 dollars per gallon.
Take a look at the short tiktok video. I got a new light installed for my birthday! It's like a sculpture. I got it on houzz. Lot's of fancy ones but this one was most economical.